Monday, September 10, 2007

Discovering Diabetes

According to the American Diabetes Association:
"There are 20.8 million children and adults in the United States, or 7% of the population, who have diabetes."
Unfortunately, it seems to be of little or no concern at all for the remaining 93% of the population.

To be completely honest, I was one of those 93%.

Even though my grandfather has been living with diabetes for 27 years (insulin-dependent for the past 7 years) and my mom is borderline diabetic, diabetes never really crossed my mind.

Fortunately, I'm now in a place in my life where knowing everything about diabetes is of the utmost priority. No, I'm not training to be a CDE. No, I don't have diabetes. No, I'm not even dating a girl with diabetes.

Actually, it's my
job to be as up to date about diabetes as I can possibly be... And I'm quite proud to be working for a company that cares enough to have me do so.

So here it starts, a blog about my journey of discovering world of diabetes.

1 comment:

Kerri. said...

I'm glad you're learning, whatever your reasons.

I've been living with type 1 for over 20 years. I'd appreciate anything you can do to help educate that 93% of people that doesn't understand.